Friday, March 13, 2015

That's Not Blood, Man; it's Glo-Stick Goo: Nonviolence and the EcstaticDance Party

The only fight people seek out of a Sound Tribe show is a glow-stick war. And while I've known some to trip out from being on the “wrong” side of a color exchange, electronic enthusiasts pulse with the innocence of neon for the simple sake of bright and shiny. Initially, I struggled with that ease of satisfaction. When I first came onto the scene as an overeager Earth pleaser, I spent countless hours talking to the most tripped out chemists on lot to try to devise a way to recycle the thousands upon thousands of damn glow-sticks that always end up painting the grass in clear plastic by the end of the night. And really, not one of these new wave ravers wanted to hear or think about their toxic footprints. In fact, many say, “I never thought of that before!” with complete wide-eyed honesty and just as sincere a smile as they plunk right back into their dance or bra or pocket for some molly to share.



Admittedly, I've always seen the sparkle-faced Bratz Dollz generation with glow-sticks and dubstep as “them.” Evil. I saw plastic and computer glitch-beats as a robot-zombie plague upon the purity and synergy of jam. But when ecstatic Dave at his first Bassnectar concert squealed, “It's expendable energy!” and began collecting and throwing glow-sticks like flowers bursting from the pit of his highlighter-yellow soul, the electronic scene finally clicked into mine. Ah! These self-proclaimed “bass-heads” don't want to suck away souls, not out of the earth, music, nor each other...they just want to have a good time.

And that time that my friends and I left Charleston's Music Farm extremely perplexed as to how Nate acquired a spatter of blood on his T-shirt after the STS9 show/danciest energy-a-thon ever, it took us to be in the dark crashing five people on a bed and a couch to recognize the neon nature of the stain. And yes, it tickled and cheered me to know it was the reckless innocence of glow-stick goo.

Yes I will always be a jam band purist, and in the electronic realm, I will always pick a band like Sound Tribe or Lotus over a Macbook party like EOTO or Pretty Lights. Still, I must pay tribute to the nonstop party wizzam-wow that the dubsteppers celebrate and chase, as the ecstatic dance party is now a routine therapy for my daily kitchen sanity. My gay best friend in college explained the hypnotic rhythm of dubstep as such: “Sometimes you don't need the fucking intricacies of everything. You just need to wobble.” Me, still no—I'm not a wobbler, I'm a prancing jamming pirate with skippy, stampy gazelle legs and a punk-rock head-bang, and music like Phish and Toubab Krewe will always foremost satisfy my multilayer thirst for kick-offs and crescendos. But electronic music and the ecstatic dance parties have become a parallel friend instead of an opposing force of evil: I love the dance for the sake of feeling good, the wobble for a speedway into the collective zen flow, and the oblivious love of everything for the oblivious love of everything.


After the pounding headache that consumed my body after vending Electric Forest summer 2011 next to a K-holed kid pressing WAH-WAH-WAH-WAH on his warble machine and slapping “DIRTY GIRLS LIKE DIRTY BEATS” stickers on every shoulder passing by, I was convinced these electronic dubsters truly were part robot, digitized beyond salvation of the human soul, a foreign species—the enemy. But at the end of that weekend, when a shirtless boy in a pink bandanna, cargo shorts, and cowboy boots spray-painted the clop of cop-horse shit razzle-sparkle pink, giggled and ran away with kicked up heels like a naughty elfin farmhand, I had to smile, and even giggle too. What, really, is evil about bright and shiny? After all, calculating the damge of glow-sticks to the soil is not celebrating a festival to its highest potential, and it is human nature to want to have a good time,

Photo Credits: Meggy Schaeffer
Instagram @Nut_Meggy

No comments:

Post a Comment